Soft corn buns which have fine sugar sprinkled on the crust and melted butter percolated down the centre of it :)
Keep the corn cob and remaining steamed corns for a bonus soup recipe at the end of this post ^^
Use the leftover egg white to bake 15 bite-size choco buttercream macarons. Click the link at the end of the post for recipe :P
80g cold whole milk 冷b全脂牛奶
60g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
8cm pandan leaf 香兰叶 (optional)
1 egg yolk 蛋黄 (~16g)
15g condensed milk 炼乳
35g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
30g cold unsalted butter 冷无盐奶油
195g bread flour 高筋面粉
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
Toppings & glazing
Some beaten egg as egg wash
Some salted butter
Some fine sugar to sprinkle
1/2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp hot water
1. Collect corn kernels from cob and steamed at high heat for 12 minutes. Or, steam in a rice cooker for 8 minutes, and let it stay in the rice cooker for 5 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corn while steaming to give it a sweet scent.
2. Blend 60g of corn kernels with 80g of cold milk in a food processor till creamy.
You may add 1/2 blade of pandan leaf to blend for additonal sweet scent.
3. Stir condensed milk to corn milk mixture in (2).
4. Pour corn milk mixture into the bread pan. Followed by egg yolk, raw sugar, salt and cold unsalted butter.
5. Pour in bread flour.
6. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
8. Select "8" Dough Kneading function; and press "Start".
9. After the kneading and proofing process stop, let the dough sits in the breadmaker for about 15 to 20 minutes.
As the ingredients used are cold, the proofing process is slightly slow, so a longer proofing period is recommended.
10. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
11. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions, about 53g each.
12. Roll up the small dough, pull down the sides several times to stretch out the dough surface, and seal at the bottom.
Lightly coat your index finger with some flour and "dig" a hole in the centre.b
13. Place the dough onto a non-stick baking sheet, spray some water over, and transfer to a closed oven to proof for about 30 to 40 minutes.
14. After the final proofing, remove the dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
Apply egg wash over the dough, and place small pieces of salted butter over the "wells" of the dough.
15. Bake in the oven at 170 degree Celsius for 17 to 20 minutes at the lower shelf, or till the top becomes golden.
16. Transfer the tray of buns to a wire rack. Mix 1/2 tsp of honey with 1/4 tsp of hot water. Apply the honey water over the crusts of the hot buns.
Use a sieve to help you sprinkle fine sugar over the tops. Return the tray of buns to the warm oven, and let the oven remnant heat dry up the bun for about 3 minutes.
17. Let the buns cool down slightly to enjoy 😄
Corn Carrot Tomato Pork Rib Soup
You can use your balance steamed corns and the corn cobs to brew this yummy soup.
8 Pork ribs, blanched with a little rice wine
2 slices ginger
5cm white scallion
Some carrot chunks
1/2 stalk celery, deveined & sliced
corn cobs after stripping the corn kernel
Water, enough to just submerge all the ingredients
Crushed coarse black peppercorn
1 tomato, peeled and quartered
Remaining steamed corns
Cook the above ingredients, except the tomato and steamed corn, in a rice cooker using "soup" function and set the cooking time to 1hr 20min.
When the counterdown timer reads 10 minutes, put in the tomato and steamed corns.
When done, add salt and sugar to taste. Followed by adding green scallions and coriander leaves to garnish.
Choco Buttercream Macarons
Click the link for recipe: